Monday, October 23, 2006

Shrimp Truck Plate Lunch




Anyone wondering why shrimp truck plate lunch is in my web address? Well, if you know me, you know food should probably be listed as a hobby. If I go on vacation the one item I want as a souvenir is a cookbook. The food here is an eclectic blend that is derived from the many cultures found here on the island. Musubi, Poke, Sushi, Kailua Pig, Malasadas- my list could go on and on. When you visit here it is a must that you drive to the North Shore. Stop in at the Dole Plantation for a pineapple flavored treat and maneuver the maze or relax on a train ride. Meander through Haleiwa to explore the surf shops and have a shaved ice. Stop and watch the beautiful and sometimes turbulent beaches of Waimea, Pipeline and Sunset, which is considered the surfing capital of the world. Take time to snorkel the many coves and reefs at Shark's Cove (the sharks don't really live there!). As you pass the Turtle Bay Resort, this is when you really need to start paying attention! The shrimp ponds will begin to replace the views of the awesome coastline. Normally, this would be a bad thing, but sprinkled around the ponds are the shrimp trucks which I crave. The trucks vary and in time I hope to try them all. Two of my favs are Giovanni's and Aloha Chef. A shrimp truck is just as it sounds. A truck on the side of the road with some sort of picnic-type area around it. There is nothing fancy here. Your order will be served in a styrofoam box with a plastic fork rolled up in one single napkin. I think the lack of ambiance is just part of it's charm. But the smells- the smells will unwilling make saliva form copious amounts within your mouth and your stomach will begin growling in anticipation of this island treasure. The menu is sparse, usually including a garlic shrimp scampi, a lava shrimp and maybe 1 or 2 variations. You will receive 10-12 large shrimp and a pile of rice. (Did I mention rice comes with everything here? Rice is for a whole other post...... ) The shrimp scampi is prepared with chunks of whole garlic and the shrimp are hot and fresh and the buttery concoction is drizzled over a heaping bed of hot rice. Yum! The lava shrimp is hot and spicy and if I could duplicate these recipes in my kitchen I could leave the island without fear.


So, when you come here... go everywhere, taste the many different foods the island has to offer but do not miss the shrimp trucks. If it has not become glaringly obvious these are my most favorite of island fares and for which the address was born. Is anyone else now hungry?
Kathy, Tom, Barney, Judy and Rose Marie

No comments: