Monday, April 07, 2008

Kalua Pig

I've had several ask and I am finally gettin to it! Here is the recipe for Kalua Pig.

2 Tbsp Hawaiian salt
1 (1/2 inch) slice ginger, crushed
1/4 C Soy
1 Tbsp liquid smoke
1 tsp Worcestershire
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 4-5 lb pork butt
Ti or banana leaves (opt)


Mix together first 6 ingredients. Place pork on leaves, rub with seasonings and let stand one hour. Fold leaves around pork. Wrap in foil. Place in baking pan and bake at 325 for 4-5 hours. Unwrap, shred, serve.
-Best of the Best From Hawaii

When I do the Kalua Pig I use a crock pot with or without Ti leaves. When the roast is done I remove the meat and leave the juice. Skim the fat off the top of the juice and add sliced cabbage. As I shred the meat I add it back in and allow to sit for 15 min or until the cabbage is crisp-tender, not soggy. Serve with white rice!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Maria! It was really great when you fixed it for us- I have told all my friends I would make it. Then I might just wait till you come home & let you do it! Hurry back!
Grandy