Thursday, August 28, 2008

Moving on...

Alright already! I am done whining about that place. Time to move on.
School starts Tuesday. Tara will be in Intermediate school and Big Guy will be at the Primary school. Neither seems to share my concern that they won't be together. We have open house tonight and in the morning.
I am hoping they will find lots of friends. Adjusting to not living on base has been the hardest for them strictly due to the lack of kids. Don't get me wrong. There are a ton of kids in the neighborhood but only one lives on our court. They are used to a steady flow of kids coming in and out of the house all day. Big adjustment. They have basically had just each other.
I got guilted into Tara getting her ears pierced. She barely flinched and is very excited to add another element to her wardrobe.
Speaking of clothes, the school shopping has been maddening. We began as street urchins. They had nothing suitable for school. Slippers, or flip flops, aren't allowed and my children didn't even own a long sleeve shirt. Tara always had one pair of jeans each year but she had long ago outgrown those. We now have shoes. Real shoes. And multiple pairs for each child. Long pants seemed a good idea so they have those now too. The principle, who once moved here from that place, suggested a sweater since they will now have air conditioning, so those too have been purchased. The school supply list here is much shorter so that was a nice change. Apparently Virginia schools have enough money for teachers' supplies, toilet paper and paper towels so that will make for a less cumbersome first day. Tick tick tick! Almost time!

Tyler will begin soccer with AYSO. He is most excited. Tara, my dear dear daughter, has said she would like to pass on sports this year so that she "can focus on her studies". (what is that crap and from where does it come????) I did talk her into Brownies/Girl Scouts so I guess she will be out hocking cookies this year. If you forget to order, no worries, call me. I am sure I will have a freezer full!

Trey will be hanging out with Mom for one last year. I hope to head to the Y each day and put his little butt in their childwatch program. I am hoping to eradicate the phrase "Mommy do it" from his vocabulary. It is not spoken to me as a command. It is spoken to everyone else who would make an attempt to do something for him. The phrase would be "No! Please don't bother doing that for me! My mother will do it!"
If Tara gets his clothes- "No! Mommy do it!"
If Daddy wants to make chocolate milk- "No! Mommy do it!"
If Grandma wants to get him out of the car- "No! Mommy do it!"
Mommy is done and hoping that a little stranger time will help him cut the cord and move on.
That's all for now! Check back later....

No comments: