Thursday, March 26, 2009

March 09

Kevin was due home the first week of March. Due to Grampa Barney's passing, he arrived with much fanfare the 23rd of February. This is a perfect example of every cloud having a silver lining. When we got the call Saturday morning it was a huge coordinated effort to get us out of here and on our way. Kevin was catching the first flight out so he would arrive Monday morning in KC. We could get buddy passes but we wouldn't arrive till late afternoon Monday. After 4 months without Dad the homecoming is not to be missed!
That Saturday I was at home cleaning house, doing laundry and laying out clothes to pack. Joe Goz gave me a call when he heard the news and asked how he could help me get out of town. I, of course, professed that I needed nothing. He completely ignored me and came over to take The Van for an oil change. When he got back he pulled suitcases out of the attic. I have said it before but the guys in this squadron are just the best. Thanks!
We took off that evening and I drove to the West Virginia line where we woke up to 3 inches of snow. It made the drive beautiful and was a much better backdrop than driving through the rain.
When we got to the airport the whole family (immediate family I should say) was there! That's about 14 kids and 10 adults. Everyone had posters, balloons and a big huge welcome home banner. Kevin said it was the best homecoming ever!!! I grabbed my camera in my rush to get out of the house bit I failed to grab the SD card. Dear Tammy is supposed to send me pics!!!
It was wonderful to visit with everyone but I am over going to KC for funerals. It's about time for a nice happy lake visit.
When we left we decided at the last minute to head down to Pensacola and pick up the camper. LOL! Sure, lets drive south for 14hrs spend the night and then drive 15 hrs home!! Not a problem!!! We ended up driving through 15 states. The kids were counting.
We stayed with Pete and Emily and without them the camper thing would have never happened. Thanks gang for checking it out for us and going over everything with us at your house and for letting us plug in and camp in your driveway!! We are waiting to return the favor!!
So, we made it home with the new camper and Daddy. It is wonderful to have him home. It is fabulous to also have our camper. We camped at First Landing State Park right on the beach. The next weekend we stayed in Ocean City at Frontierland? Campground right on the lake. The weather hasn't been the best but both weekends were a hit and the kids had a blast!! I'll tell you more about our first camping trips later, for now I have to go!!!

No comments: