Monday, May 28, 2007

Memorial Day

Happy Memorial Day Everyone!


It's a long holiday weekend here in paradise. My backdoor neighbor, Robert, found out Friday he had been advanced. We were all very excited and celebrated with a few adult beverages. Quite a few beverages. The good thing about my drink of choice is the Jeiger is mixed with Red Bull which leaves you with lots of energy for the next morning. Saturday, Tyler had a t-ball game and after was awarded with his most coveted snack pack. The girls set up and worked their lemonade stand. They had fun and I even threw together a cinnamon streusel cake so they could sell that with their drinks. The beach was beckoning so when Trey finished his nap, that's where we headed. Today we were all bad and skipped church. (I know, I know...we are all going straight to hell!) We packed up the cooler with sandwiches, milk, juices and snacks. We loaded up a football, a volleyball set, floats and snorkel gear and guess where we went? Yep, you guessed it, the beach! Is there any place you would rather be when in Hawaii? New pictures have been added.

Tomorrow I would like to wake up early and head to a veteran's cemetery. My plan is to take red flowers for the kids to leave and explain the history of Memorial Day. That is my plan but plans tend to change. My kids have all left me to spend the night with friends so the early start I was hoping for isn't going to happen. We have an Iwo jima Memorial on base so we may have to head to that instead. We will see. If you read this before 3 pm, that is the moment when you are to pause in remembrance and respect, honoring those that have fallen in service to their country.

We cherish too, the Poppy red
That grows on fields where valor led,
It seems to signal to the skies
That blood of heroes never dies
-Moina Michael

My hope is that everyone takes at least 60 seconds to remember the spirit of the day. It's not just another 3 day weekend! ( I will now jump down from my soapbox!)

No comments: