Tuesday, December 09, 2008

So you wanna see Christmas decorations?


Tyler has started b-ball. Their fist game will be Saturday. In an effort to prepare for the upcoming game, they had an additional practice this past Saturday. Saturday was also the day for the HSC children's Christmas party. My kids wanted to go to the party to see Santa and Tyler had no problem skipping practice. Unknown to me was the fact that Tyler had some idea in his head that Santa might be bringing Daddy home on the helicopter. Apparently Tara convinced him, I am hoping very gently and in the nicest way possible, that Daddy would not be arriving with Santa.

The morning of the Christmas party Tyler looked at me as if I had lost my mind and said he was going to practice. I honestly believe that faced with a similar dilemma, Kevin would have also chosen sports over a Christmas party. Tyler did make me promise that he would see Santa some other time.

So Tara, Trey and I did the party without him. They had the usual stuff- crafts, face painting, bouncy house, food and Santa arriving on a helicopter. Trey watched everything very carefully but he would not get near the man in the red coat. Nuh huh- no way. Hopefully by the end of the season, and with his dear brother's influence, we'll make it happen.

Tara had songfest last night at school. We all gathered in the cafeteria to listen to the 5th graders play their string instruments and then we stood outside while the 3rd graders sang Christmas carols and we nibbled on cookies and drank hot apple cider. It was very cute but very cold.

I got an email from Kev and he asked to see pics of the Christmas tree. If Kev had been here we may have rearranged everything to put the big tree in the family room. Instead we moved out the chaise and put the big tree in the living room/office and the lil itty bitty Hawaii tree is in the family room. It works and the Martha, buried deep inside me, likes it because it is very visible from the front and side of the house because it is surrounded by windows. The giant snow globe is in the yard and we have a new wreath and garland around the door along with a small lighted tree on the porch. The bushes and trees are lit with white lights. It's actually very sweet and very traditional. It keeps the kids happy and the neighbors are thrilled someone here now decorates.

I was given Christmas dishes one year as a present. Each year Kev humps the heavy box in and out of storage. For the past few years we haven't even unwrapped, much less used them, for lack of space. This year I am proud to say they have all been washed, are in my cabinet and we use them daily!!

So, you got the scoop on the decorations and there are a bunch of pics too. There are parties and functions coming so I'll keep you updated!!

No comments: