Saturday, February 14, 2009

The end is in sight

So it's been awhile. The kids can now count down in days until Daddy comes home. We aren't sure which day but the first week of March isn't far. Our prayers are with Daddy each and every day and now we are praying for Grandpa Barney's recovery too.
Kevin leaves frequently and I, and I believe the kids too, are used to the separation. But this deployment has been the worst ever. Not only are my precious little ones dealing with Daddy's absence but they are still trying to find happiness in their new environment. They will not hesitate to tell anyone how much they miss Hawaii. They are still searching for friends in the neighborhood and I thank God they have each other. They have lots of friends at school but they, and I, long for the days when they could run outside and join the kids playing the many games kids find to play.
We had a windy day two nights ago. As I was falling asleep I could hear the wind swirling through the screened porch. My bamboo chimes were playing their hollow melody and if I kept my eyes closed I could pretend I was somewhere else. As I lay there, I realized that Tara has not had one single friend that has come to the house and just sat in the floor and played Littlest Pet Shop or Barbies or Polly Pockets. She and Cassidy or Haley could play that way for hours. Has she outgrown this childhood delight? I don't think so. I eventually fought back the tears and fell asleep.
Tyler will consistently tell you he has no friends at school. I have talked with his teacher who was very surprised at his statement. I have only come to the conclusion that Tyler associates friends with the relationships he had in Hawaii. He has lots of pals at school and on the bus and the kids on his basketball team. What he's missing are the kids from school that lived around him, that he played with every day and had sleepovers with on the weekend. So if you ask him, he has no friends.
They don't complain often. Every now and then Tara will go up the street to see if Taylor can play but she is never home. Tyler will ride his bike to a friends but they are usually in after school care and by the time they get home it's dark. So for now they have each other and me and Trey. Tyler was student of the week and did a poster board of pics and they were all pics of him and friends in Hawaii. This was like salt on an open wound and there were lots of tears shared by all as they looked through pictures to decide which ones to use.
Okay, so this is a complete downer but now you know why there hasn't been a lot to write about.

No comments: