Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Kayaking

I've been here for two years. For two years I have looked at the kayaks slicing through the waters of the bays and I have longed to do the same. Saturday we went to a gathering at one of the beaches on base and on the way there I decided I was just going to go the marina (a mile away) and rent one. You can't beat it, for $4 an hour or $30/day you can rent a 2 man kayak with tie down straps, life jackets, back supports and paddles. They will even put it on top of your vehicle and fill your cooler with ice. Can I just say that the jeep looks really good with a kayak loaded on top! Kevin was still gone and of course we had gone with the Reyes'. Melissa isn't big on the water so throughout the day I went out with Ray or Estella. Of course, I absolutely loved every minute of it. We paddled out to and around turtle rock and saw a very small beach where you could get the kayak on land and explore. We saw the eroding shore on the ocean side of the island that is tunneled from the pounding waves. The waters are so clear that the world beneath is completely exposed and you can't help but to stop and just stare. I could sit on the kayak and watch the reefs for hours. Kev was home Monday and when we decided to go to the beach I again went to the marina. We were at a different beach but the effect was still the same. Kev and I put the boys between us and paddled around the cove of secret beach. Trey loved it as he watched the colors from the world below and Big Guy kept a good eye on the big waves he thought we were getting too near. This is just one more thing I love about the ocean and I am sure given the opportunity I could become a kayak junkie.

No comments: