Thursday, October 18, 2007

Hello? Hello? Are you there?

I have a confession to make.

I bought my 7 1/2 year old daughter a cell phone!!

Yes, I have lost my mind! Yes, she will probably lose it!

Before ye cast the first stone- let me plead my case.

I went shopping with the sole intention of utilizing my new every two phone deal with Verizon. Kevin made a huge deal of informing me before I left that all he needed was a phone. He needed to be able to open it, close it and make and receive calls. Simple.

The simple phone included pictures. (I new I was in trouble when I had to get a phone that included a camera.) With this simple phone they were giving away 2 additional phones. With me now at work all day I like to be able to call Tara and ask if they are on their way to school or are they home yet. One of the older kids in the neighborhood watches them but I still worry. So when they offered the extra phone, for free, I thought why not? As I was standing there contemplating the idea and how my DH would react the salesman honed in on my indecisiveness. He began to describe the child watch program they offer. The child watch is a GPS locator for kids. I can set up safe zones and if the phone leaves the safe zone I will be notified via text message. I can also use the GPS locator in the phone and zero in on her on a map using my phone or a computer.

I was hooked. He didn't even have to go into the fact that the phone could be set-up to only allow calls from the pre-programmed phone book. Mr. Salesman, you did your job well. I had a momentary thought of getting one for Big Guy but that would have been true insanity.

She even got a cute little pink phone case. There. My confession is complete.

I also set up her phone so that she she can only call out from her contact list. If you are on her list beware.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm on her list. Thank you Maria.