Monday, October 01, 2007

At Random

Tara was Citizen of the Month at Mokapu for September. Woohoo! Way to go Tara! She wore one of her fancy dresses for the occasion. Her good friend, Cody, was also Student of the Month. They are both in Mrs. Holiday's class and he lives just up the street. They are so cute!!!
Big Guy had his first football game Saturday morning. He had on his jersey, mouth piece in place, with the "black stuff" smeared under his eyes. He looked like such a little man!! He played hard and there was vast improvement from some of the first practices that I saw. They were able to actually make plays that didn't involve a dog pile. This is going to be one good season to watch!
Tara had her first performance of the cheer season shortly after Big Guy's game. The did a half- time routine that was done very well and even included some stunts. Very impressive for a first show! Last year they were the MCBH Bulldogs. This year they have changed their names to the D-Dogs. (Yep, we're on a Marine Corps base!) Gooo D-Dogs!!
__________________

Tara is my child that tends to be on the creative side. If she is bored she will find something to do. Tape does not last long in my house. Most of her projects involve the use of tape. She tapes up the end of empty paper towel tubes to make shakers or tapes various items inside of boxes that become houses for pet rocks, etc. etc. I'm sure you get the idea. For the last couple of days I have noticed a new flower decoration taped to my wall. It's very pretty. It has a a big leaf with several other leaves taped to it and a gorgeous red flower taped in the middle. The entire creation is taped very securely to my wall. I get it. It's pretty and she wanted it to be a beautiful decoration displayed on my wall. What I am baffled by is the new addition I found taped next to her lovely arrangement. A calculator. A small hand held calculator is taped to the wall right beside the flower. Why??
_________________

Last night was one of those evenings one spends reminiscing about the years before children. Kev and I were exhausted. He scampered upstairs about 7:30 mumbling something about watching TV. I knew what he was up to!! So I rested my weary head on the side of the couch and told the boys to lay down and go to sleep. Hah! That didn't happen. Who knew they would be up all night? I am pretty sure they must have been drinking coffee and eating sugar. Finally when I was done being awakened by toys bouncing off my head and Trey poking his fingers in my eyes and up my nose proudly showing off his anatomy skills, I got up and pulled the big bad Mom routine and made them go to sleep. Since my adrenalin kicked in I was hopelessly awake and began to do a little internet surfing. An hour or so later the real fun began. Big Guy woke up crying, hotter than Hades with the temp he was suffering from and complaining of a headache. ( I was waiting for this to happen. Emily's kids had it first so there were no surprises when this little virus surfaced!) Motrin had to be searched for in the medicine basket I pretend is organized, the thermometer's whereabouts I am still seeking, the puke bucket had to be recovered and I had to put on my Mommy nurturing smile and hold my now feeble child as he suffered through another late night illness. Just as I got Big Guy settled down guess what? It was Trey's turn to wake up miserable. About 3am I kicked Kevin out of bed and said "Tag! Your it!" (At this point he had been sleeping for at least 6 hours. How is that fair and why do I feel it is my sole responsibility to provide care during an illness? I know it is embedded in the mommy gene but I swear it is some type of genetic flaw that needs to be eradicated!) He spent the rest of the night holding Trey and keeping him comfortable. I can't stand when my kids are miserable. I am typing this pretty late on the following evening and Big Guy is still groaning and moaning in his sleep. I have a feeling this is going to be another long night. Remember when if you stayed up all night it was fun and then you got to sleep in the next day? Sometimes I do long for my misspent youth.

No comments: