Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Fall

September is almost over and October is approaching. I have succumbed to my urges and have gleefully been cooking pots of pinto beans rich with ham and potatoes, chili with black beans, kidney beans and chunks of beef, and cornbread baked in a cast iron skillet. Yes, I have embraced my southern roots and have been enjoying my journey through the seasons and the approaching crisp and coolness that is fall.
My house has been filled with the wonderful aroma of baking bread. A friend from work gave me a starter for Amish Friendship Bread. I have now been baking bread every 10 days. My freezer will soon be full and my neighbors will reap the rewards during the holidays. I have been experimenting so now the basic recipe has expanded to include cranberry, blueberry and pumpkin. Pumpkin you say? Yes, pumpkin- blame it on fall, y'all!!
I have even been able to dig through my closet and find clothes that aren't specifically designed for island life. I am adjusting well. When it really gets cold- check back. I may recess back into the depths of my brain and remain comatose till spring. Hibernation I think they call it. But for now I am okay.
I am looking forward to driving through the mountains to gather apples in the orchards and play in the fallen leaves. My brain will get a visual boost of adrenaline while I stare mesmerized at the beauty the trees display as the leaves change from green to fall's assorted color palette. Hopefully the kids will stop watching that DVD of Tom & Jerry long enough to notice too and if I am not interrupting an important NFL game schedule it may be a good day for all!!!
Tara and Kevin both share my enthusiasm. Sort of.
Tara wakes each morning and asks "Is it cold?" I think it has more to do with the boots she's not allowed to wear yet, but I can interpret any way I want.
Kevin asks the same as he bundles sweats over shorts. His daily question and answer come from anxiety over the cold ride he knows is coming in his Jeep- with no back window.
Each morning I decide on what the kids are going to wear and leave it on the sofa. Tyler came down one morning and sleepily grabbed his clothes. I was in the kitchen preparing lunches and not really noticing his struggle.
"Ma!" His tone was that of a question so I was still making a PB&J.
"Ma!!!!" This one got my attention. I looked up to see my boy with one hand on the waist band of his pants practically to his armpits. The other hand was yanking on his pant leg trying in vain to make it stay above his knee.
"Ma!!! Why I got to wear these long shorts???!!!"
While I yanked on the adjustable tabs at the waistband I tried to explain the concept of shorts vs pants. He continued to call them "long shorts" for days. He is still asking on a regular basis if we can go to the pool. I should take him and throw him in. Then he might realize it's just a little too cold for the pool but I doubt the good people at the Y would understand the lesson I would be trying to instill in his pee brain. That's my boy!!
The AC is now switched to OFF. The windows are open. There's a scarecrow on the porch and a pumpkin in the flowerbed under the little garden flag that says "Welcome Fall". There is a bird feeder hanging under the eaves of the porch next to a window so the kids can watch. Grass is beginning to grow in the dust bowl of my backyard. The kids are looking forward to a Friday night high school football game. The geese honk as they fly over and we are anticipating a visit to the pumpkin patch.
Shhhhh!!! Don't tell anyone! I love this time of year!!

No comments: