Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Jamestown


The second graders here have a field trip each year to Jamestown. Tara missed out on this so we are doing our part to help her catch up. I don't want to admit it, but I don't remember ever going myself.

Last Saturday we loaded our van and made the drive to Williamsburg. The weather was perfect. We sat through the introductory movie and we all got our history lesson for the day.

We spent a couple of hours roaming the grounds and I kept my fingers crossed that the Furey kids wouldn't destroy any National Landmarks.

They climbed across ruins, stared into old wells, and really wanted to dig in the current archaeological dig site. We wandered through the museums and got a feel for what life was like for the first settlers. The kids sampled Brunswick Stew and declared it "yummy". They watched the fairy go back and forth across the river and spotted (and stalked) lots of deer. Tara was amazed at the pictures of Pocahontas after she married John Rolf and went back to England. Tyler wondered how all those people traveled on the little boats in the display case. Trey was just happy to get out of the stroller and run free.

Kevin and I enjoyed the awesome weather and watching the kids happy and carefree. I took advantage and snapped some pics. Look for those on the Photo page.

No comments: