Saturday, September 27, 2008

Go Hawks!

Anyone been to a high school football game lately? I took the kids to see the Hawks vs the Wild Cats last night. It was raining when we got there so as we huddled under the umbrella I got a chance to observe.
I was curious. I probably haven't been to a high school game in about 20 years. With all the talk of gangs and the violence in schools, I was a little nervous when we arrived and had to go through a metal detector. Once upon a time when kids walked around the track they would stop and chat and visit with others as they made the loop. Not anymore. Now there are security/sheriffs/cops that remind all to keep moving. Like a momma lion I kept my little cubs close.
The game began with the band playing the Star Spangled Banner and I forgot my fears. The kids here were like any other. They talked and cheered, the team played hard and the bands performed. The air was filled with the smell of hot dogs and popcorn and if I hadn't had my own kids with me, it could have been a scene from 20 years ago.
The kids loved it. The local news had a helicopter that landed behind the field, the dance squad performed, the cheerleaders cheered and the band had a great show. It was a live football game and we all yelled and stomped along with everyone else!
It may have been a little more cautious than what I remember, but I saw nothing to fear. No gang colors, no fights among rival students and I didn't even hear a bad word. I am sure this stuff goes on, but I can happily report I saw none of it here.
My children loved the excitement, I loved that they enjoyed it and we will happily return!!

No comments: