Friday, September 05, 2008

First Week Down

The first week is coming to a close and we have adjusted well.
Big Guy says he likes his new school and he loves being able to ride the bus. He has computers in the classroom and he is meeting friends. He gets a stamp daily if he has had good behavior and he has one everyday. He hasn't forgotten his name tag so he gets a new sticker each afternoon also. The play ground is apparently nicer than the one at Mokapu so that is a huge bonus.
Tara is very happy. She has been to the library, kids do morning announcements, and they have a real gym. She has no worries of ants attacking her lunch and she loves the air conditioned classrooms. But most of all she says her teacher is fun!!!
Tyler is to play AYSO soccer this year. We have team assignments and practice starts next week unless Hanna or Ike cause too many problems. The teams are done by area so it will most likely be full of kids from BRP.
Tara got a call from her troop leader and she will be involved in Brownies. Hiking, camping, ice skating, crafts and general "do-gooder" stuff is right up her alley.
Work has been crazy. I have been pulling some extra hours but when it's 4 hrs at a time and it's only 5 min away it's easy! (And when they pay me time and half it's way worth it!!) Kevin has been doing some late flights so when he's around in the morning I can do these little extras. I am hoping these night flights continue so I can get up to the school and do a little volunteering. When the kids jump on the bus each day and I never see their teacher I am feeling a little detached. Communication seems to be okay though because both emails I have sent have been almost instantly answered.
My job has truly been a blessing. I get to be home all day with the kids and I am only gone 3 evenings a week and then Gramma or Daddy is with them. If you haven't been updated I did turn down the GS position. They were very nice and said when I have more time they will pass my resume around if I am interested. I hear they are supposed to make L&D nurses a GS12 next year so maybe then.....
Kevin says he will be leaving in October rather than January. He'll be gone for 4 months and miss the holidays and Tyler's birthday. I can't complain, in 9 years he has never missed a Christmas. He is loving being back in helos. He attended a reunion of the Vietnam H-6o guys in Nashville recently. I have never heard Kevin so humbled by any event in his life. He was inspired and awed by the stories, lives and medals these guys had attained. What an awesome experience for him and the rest of the guys that attended this event!
The weather gurus say we are in few a rough few days. Hopefully nothing too serious. I have battened down the hatches though (plants off the front porch, umbrella off the table, and I had to save the bamboo chimes!) in preparation for the wind I am sure we will have. Not too many worries since we took all the trees down! The kids are excited by their first storm. I am just hoping not to be sitting around in the dark for a couple of days!!
I hear Gramma Judy is coming in October! You'll have to send me your itinerary. We can't wait to see you!

No comments: