Wednesday, July 11, 2007

What a day!!

I should never have gotten out of bed today. I should have grabbed the covers, pulled them up high and hidden in the depths of warm blankets and pleasant dreams. But no. That's not what happened. I heard Macy's feeble voice coming from the bathroom, between puking sessions, calling my name. After I got her cleaned up and the sheets were pulled from her bed I was cleaning and spraying the upstairs and it just still smelled bad. I went into Tara's room and found her asleep next to the mess she had created when she had gotten sick through the night. The washer is going, the dishwasher is running and hoooraaahhhhhh! It's my day off. We were all (the neighbors and I) going to gather the kids and go to the zoo and then cool off at the Hale Koa. Now I am listening to my two girls taking turns to wretch into the buckets I have set next to them. My poor girls.
At the top of my site I have a disclaimer that allows me to complain about the little things. So, here goes. I have often ranted about poor pitiful me because I have no brothers and sisters. There are times when I am very thankful for being an only child. My family experienced a death not long ago. Three adults were left grieving over the loss of a parent. One has done very well in life. She has a successful husband, a large home, and 4 beautiful kids. Another is married and happy, living in a home in another state. The third and youngest (he is older than I am) was living in the house with the now deceased parent. He is now living with other family while he gets finances and life straight before branching off on his own. The estate was not overly large- a modest home, an eight year old car, some cash in the bank and maybe an insurance policy. The problem is the executor of the estate was child #1. She has decided to charge an executor's fee. If the estate was large or if she was a lawyer or someone outside the will that was not an heir, the fee would be perfectly justified. The other problem I am having with the situation is the fee is only being paid by child #3, who has no place to live and is making a valiant effort at getting his affairs in order. I have searched on the internet and everything I find says the fee is generally waived if the executor is a recipient of the will or a family member. An executor should be business smart, trustworthy and fair. By that simple definition she has failed. I hope her children will not be subject to the same greed and injustice when they lose their parents. Sometimes being an only child has it's perks.

2 comments:

pasco49 said...

Awww...Maria that really does stink! I guess that applies to both topics. I hops the girls feel better soon and the house gets back to the normal craziness! I'm here if you need to vent.

Pam

Anonymous said...

Dude, that sucks. Family sucks. You know the deal. Mum died over a year ago, and had hoped to leave all of us tons of land, and security for our futures....Now my dad is selling it all off and pissing it away on his sluts. YAY. Get your affairs in order, and make sure your kids won't have to deal with crap like this. ARGH! I'm right there with you in the frustration bucket!

Love,
mle