Wednesday, July 18, 2007

My Dear Friend Murphy

I consider myself to be pretty independent. I can change a tire, jump a car, do minor home repairs, etc., etc. When your DH is gone as frequently as mine you learn not to depend on anyone but yourself. If they are around, it's the exception and not the rule. And, as required by Murphy's Law, if anything is going to go wrong- it will, but especially while the husbands are away. The last week has been a prime example of me and ole Murphy battling it out.
-Macy and Tara getting sick, and barfing all over everything in their path
-The laundry that the above created
-The baby got sick while I was at work the next day
-When I came home the freezer door had been left open (or so I thought)
-I got sick the following am and had to go in to work any way
-The weather has been crappy from the typhoon that was pounding Japan. Cloudy skies and rain mean I am not getting to the beach. The beach is my therapeutic release.
-The freezer died thru the night. I went to buy a new one but when I jumped into the van...
-The lights had been left on overnight and it wouldn't start. The battery was so drained it wouldn't jump.
-Every man I know was gone- deployed, on det, out-of-town, or at work.
-When I went to buy a new freezer the card I was using had my DH's name. I was told I wouldn't be able to use it unless I had a power-of-attorney. I knew I had one and knew exactly where in the van it was and told the lady I would be right back. I ran outside only to realize I had borrowed a vehicle because mine wouldn't start. Uhh! Murphy got me again!!

Fortunately for me Dillon is in town. He answered my cry for help. Together we hauled out the old freezer and he had a charger for the battery. I can't pick up the new freezer till Thursday and I enlisted his services to help me then also. I thanked him and gave him a half thawed hunk of Salmon, bag of broccoli with cheese and a loaf of crusty french bread. I don't think he realizes that he rescued my injured soul. I was on the verge of waving white flags at my dear friend Murphy. Instead, he listened to me rant and rave, reassured me that I had jumped the vehicles correctly, and hung out just to chat for a few moments. Exactly what I need to once again feel like a strong, independent, military wife capable of handling all of Murphy's sh#t! Thanks Pete!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank God you are 'type Z'!!! This would likely have destroyed some 'type A' people we know so well!!! I'm sure it all just rolled right off your back like nothing. :)

M. said...

Hey Paula! Even we type Z's can lose our minds every now and again!! Send more pics of the boyz please!!